Thursday, October 16, 2014

Throwback Thursday: Custom Favorites

During my first year as a jewelry seller on Etsy, I was very fortunate to get several requests for custom work. In addition to keeping me busy and inspiring some new designs, it helped give me the budget I needed to start building a really respectable bead stash. Although I’m very happy with the place I’m in right now, creative-wise, I still look back on these projects fondly. Here are three of my favorites:

Tropical Links Peyote Necklace

This chain link necklace called for a tropical palette,
so I combined almost every shade of orange, yellow, and purple that I had in my stash.
There’s also some aqua blue and a hint of green.
I had a lot of fun working out the best pattern for such a large selection of colors.


Japanese Maple Herringbone Lariat

I was really excited to work on this lariat, not only because it was one of my favorite - and proudest - designs.
I simply loved the transparent red seed bead mix used in both the rope and the leaves.
I think it’s just about time I searched for it again.


Royal Courtyard Pendant

This pendant was really interesting to make.
It combined my love for 15/o bead flowers and 4mm cubes.
I want to revisit this design in a more versatile style soon.


Do you like making custom designs? What’s your favorite part of the process?

Copyright 2014 Inspirational Beading
Subscribe to Inspirational Beading
Get inspired on Facebook and Google+


3 comments:

  1. Its always nice to look back on older projects and these are all gorgeous! Love the tropical chain. I used to get some really interesting commissions when I was selling my beadwork on Etsy, ideas I probably wouldn't have thought of myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Help! Help! You taught me how to make my first peyote ANYTHING tonight. The bracelets I was trying to replicate must use some stretchier thread. I am using the FireLine and it is durable and easy to use for the weaving. When I tried to close up the tube, it was really rigid and wouldn't allow the closure to the end. I see your links at the top. I am old and blind and can't tell if your circles were tubular peyote. They look like the tubes you made Jan 26, 2011. What thread did you use? Did you work loosely to make it flexible enough to close?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Barb! I work almost exclusively with Fireline 6lb test, and my tension is crazy tight for flat stitches. Would you be able to email me a photo of your project, and the piece that you're working from? Perhaps I can help with a closer look. inspirationalbeading@gmail.com

      Delete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Fire Mountain Gems and Beads

Inspiration Topics

accessories amulet Ancient Worlds Modern Beads animals April's Army art ArtFire astrology astronomy autumn awards awareness bangle beach Bead Inspired Bead Shops bead soup bead spotlight bead stash Bead Trays beaded beads beading theory beads belt bezel birthstones black blog spotlight blue boho bone book spotlight bracelet Bracelet A Week branch fringe brick stitch brown bugles buttons cabochon ceramic chain maille challenge charity chevron chain christmas collar Collections color Color Ideas color triads conservation craft shows crafts crochet crystals cuff Culled Beads current events Current Faves daggers Daily Sets daisy chain Delicas Destash drops Dutch spiral earrings Egypt Egyptian Gods embellishing embroidery environment etsy exotic fair trade fantasy fashion Favorite Beads Favorite Techniques feminine fibers film findings fire polish fixtures Flashback Test flickr inspiration flowers food found object free form fringe Geek Jewels geekery gemstones geography giveaway glass gold gray Greece green herringbone hex cuts history holiday home decor insects inspiration tip inspired beader Inspired by... Inspiring Links ivory Jewelry Stash knitting ladder stitch lampwork lariat leaf fringe leather lights literature loomwork macrame magatamas Master Class Medallions metal free metalwork Mini Collar a Week mixed media mixture Mood Board MOP multi-color multi-strand music natural beads nature necklace Necklace a Day Nepal chain netting New Beads ocean ombre orange paint paper patterns pearls pendant peyote photography Picasso finish pink Pinspiration PMC polymer clay poster sketch purple quick inspiration rainbow RAW red resin ring Ring a Day rivoli Rome Russian spiral scarf science seed beads shell silver soutache spiral rope spring square stitch St. Petersburg steampunk stringing stripes summer tagua TBT The Elements thread Tilas Time Capsule tools trade beads triangle weave tribal tropical turquoise tutorial two-hole beads Ugly vintage Wear it Twice weather white winter WIP wire wishlist wood World Beaders yellow
Blog Home * About * Beading Tutorials * Advertise

Learn About Sponsoring Inspirational Beading with Project Wonderful
Affiliated With ShareASale.com and Amazon.com