Monday, November 1, 2010

A Necklace a Day - One

Harley Quinn reference by Bruce Timm

Back in June, I challenged myself to make one ring a day for 30 days, to help me achieve my goal of 100 active listings in my Etsy shop. Now I’m getting ready to set up my ArtFire studio, and I thought I’d take another 30 day creative journey to get things started.

I created the first necklace just for myself, to go with my Halloween costume. For most of this year, I had planned to go as Catwoman. Because my bead helper is head-over-heels obsessed with Batman, his costume choice was pretty obvious. I decided to dress up with him as Catwoman because she’s the easiest to copy in a mom-appropriate way.

Harley Quinn - Arkham Asylum Look

My partner thought it would be better if we went as Joker and Harley Quinn, and I didn’t disagree. Harley is my all time favorite Batman character. Unfortunately, there was no way I’d have the time or talent to sew my own black and red body suit, and the Arkham Asylum version of Harley is a bit too…vivacious, for me.

So I started looking around on Etsy for some cool Catwoman masks that I could use to add some authenticity to whatever cat costume I could throw together. I came across a fantastic leather shop called Nokturnel Eclipse, and discovered an amazing array of fantasy character masks - including Harley Quinn. I was instantly sold, and vowed I would find a way to make the costume work.

Handmade Leather Harley Quinn or Catwoman Mask by Nokturnel Eclipse

I decided that it would be perfectly alright to make up my own Harley Quinn costume, using pieces from my own wardrobe, and I had a pretty great black and red outfit in mind. To make sure that there was no doubt about who I was dressing up as, I made a little necklace with a harlequin pattern beaded bead.

I used peyote stitch in black and white to make the diamond pattern, then strung it with more seed beads and some black-white druks. I ended up making the beaded tube way too big, and before I could string everything, I had to go back and cinch up the ends with picots and circular peyote.

Harley Quinn Beaded Bead Necklace


We decided that as adults, we could get away with just painting our faces, so I was happy to have the extra accessory. My new mask totally made the costume come together, and I can't wait to wear it and the necklace again next year.

Copyright 2010 Inspirational Beading, Nokturnel Eclipse,
Bruce Timm, Eidos Interactive Ltd.


6 comments:

  1. Great job on the costumes!

    Good luck with your new Artfire shop, keep us posted with it's progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great costumes! Love the how-to story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You both look great, and I love the necklace. I'm really looking forward to seeing what else you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great costumes! Looks like you had a wonderful time :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone! It was a very exciting day, especially for B-man. He was way more interested in getting a good look at the real-life Spidermen and Ironmen than getting candy!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Fire Mountain Gems and Beads

Inspiration Topics

accessories amulet Ancient Worlds Modern Beads animals April's Army art ArtFire astrology astronomy autumn awards awareness bangle beach Bead Inspired Bead Shops bead soup bead spotlight bead stash Bead Trays beaded beads beading theory beads belt bezel birthstones black blog spotlight blue boho bone book spotlight bracelet Bracelet A Week branch fringe brick stitch brown bugles buttons cabochon ceramic chain maille challenge charity chevron chain christmas collar Collections color Color Ideas color triads conservation craft shows crafts crochet crystals cuff Culled Beads current events Current Faves daggers Daily Sets daisy chain Delicas Destash drops Dutch spiral earrings Egypt Egyptian Gods embellishing embroidery environment etsy exotic fair trade fantasy fashion Favorite Beads Favorite Techniques feminine fibers film findings fire polish fixtures Flashback Test flickr inspiration flowers food found object free form fringe Geek Jewels geekery gemstones geography giveaway glass gold gray Greece green herringbone hex cuts history holiday home decor insects inspiration tip inspired beader Inspired by... Inspiring Links ivory Jewelry Stash knitting ladder stitch lampwork lariat leaf fringe leather lights literature loomwork macrame magatamas Master Class Medallions metal free metalwork Mini Collar a Week mixed media mixture Mood Board MOP multi-color multi-strand music natural beads nature necklace Necklace a Day Nepal chain netting New Beads ocean ombre orange paint paper patterns pearls pendant peyote photography Picasso finish pink Pinspiration PMC polymer clay poster sketch purple quick inspiration rainbow RAW red resin ring Ring a Day rivoli Rome Russian spiral scarf science seed beads shell silver soutache spiral rope spring square stitch St. Petersburg steampunk stringing stripes summer tagua TBT The Elements thread Tilas Time Capsule tools trade beads triangle weave tribal tropical turquoise tutorial two-hole beads Ugly vintage Wear it Twice weather white winter WIP wire wishlist wood World Beaders yellow
Blog Home * About * Beading Tutorials * Advertise

Learn About Sponsoring Inspirational Beading with Project Wonderful
Affiliated With ShareASale.com and Amazon.com